21 February, 2007

Frustrating

I had a pop quiz in the Statics+Dynamics+Material class yesterday. I DID not do well. Honestly, I have been very lost in that class, as I have mentioned before, the professor is a book reader, I haven't learned much from him. So, on the quiz, it was a truss question. I tried to use "method of joints" to solve the problem, but it took me forever and still didn't finish a bit. Then after the quiz, break time, I asked the professor how to appoach that kind of questions. He said I should use "method of sections". Then I told him I didn't get it and don't know how to use that methond. He didn't answer me directly and just kind of ignored me. And then after the break, one of my classmate told the professor that he didn't know how to use "method of sections". The professor, again, DID NOT answer my classmate, and kind of skipped the whole topic and started a new chapter. I was very very mad about that. How could a professor found out that some of the students didn't understand something and still ignored it and not re-teach it again? Some students asked the professor throw away the quiz because they thought they didn't do well. At the end of class, the professor said, 'Should I throw away the quiz? If it's that bad, I don't want to spend time reading it.", and we said, "YES!!". I am very scared, I feel like I were in the maths class which I took in HK, which I had the same kind of professor who only read the book. And I failed that class real bad. I am having the same feeling that I am going to fail this class...

My late Valentine's Day gift has arrived yesterday.

It's a Hello Kitty sewing machine!! Although I don't know how to sew, I am very excited to have it. My mom used to sew for living, my mom-in-law and my sister-in-law knows how to sew. I feeling like I need to know also. Plus, I have always wanted to learn. I can't wait to start using it, but I have to wait until I completely finish reading the "teach myself how to sew" book. :D

5 comments:

acambras said...

Ooh, now I want a sewing machine. I don't know how to sew either -- I wish I knew but knitting seems to keep me too busy for lessons.

I remember learning a couple of ways to solve trusses when I took structures classes in architorture school. I'll look in my old book and see if I can remember. If I can figure it out, I'll bring it to S&B next Thursday (but don't hold your breath!) ;-)

I won't be there tonight. I have to stay here in Middletown because at 6pm I have a DUMB MEETING. ):-( When other things interfere with S&B, I become the B part of that.

Hello Kitty -- Goodbye Phoebe. ;-)

-Anne

Anonymous said...

Sorry your class is so frustrating. At least you have a super cute sewing machine to cheer you up. That's adorable -- I hope you have lots of fun with it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry your class is so frustrating. At least you have a super cute sewing machine to cheer you up. That's adorable -- I hope you have lots of fun with it.

Unknown said...

Hi Phoebe,
How are you? You seemed to have a horrible test last week! How could that guy teach you very bad? I cannot believe that a teacher don't answer his students. Or say, he really don't know maths.
Hope you get an acceptable score...
Your Valentine's present looks so beautiful! You must like it ^_^
by Fish

soozies said...

*jealous* of Hello Kitty sewing machine.....:)